Abbott is about the power of health. For more than 125 years, Abbott has been helping people reach their potential — because better health allows people and communities to achieve more.
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
A healthy heart and circulatory system are essential to good health. That’s why at Abbott, we throw our hearts into advancing treatments for people with cardiovascular disease. Abbott Vascular focuses on innovative, minimally invasive, and cost-effective technologies that can improve the way clinicians treat people with vascular disease. Our extensive portfolio includes drug-eluting stents, guide wires, balloon dilatation catheters, imaging catheters and software, vessel closure devices and peripheral stents.
What You’ll Do
The Manager, Global Competitive Intelligence is responsible for leading competitive intelligence and strategy development initiatives, including: collecting, synthesizing, and delivering key insights and implications to our business on the competitive environment. This position is tasked with providing market and competitive insights based on internally developed strategic forecasts and analyses, external market and analyst reports, and primary and / or secondary marketing research. Success within this position will be achieved through developing a deep understanding of the market and competitors, and translating data into insight that provide meaningful conclusions and recommendations. This position will report into our Global Strategy and Insights Team, and work closely with global product marketing, commercial sales, R&D, finance, clinical, business development, and several cross-functional partners. The position is in Santa Clara, California.
- Synthesize information from multiple sources to develop strategic insights and point of view on key competitive developments, implications for Abbott and recommended actions
- Apply structured problem solving to collect, analyze and report competitive intelligence, incorporating primary and secondary data sources to generate actionable insights
- Articulate and educate stakeholders on the relevant impact of changing market dynamics to their business from a competitive intelligence perspective
- Organize and facilitate strategic exercises and competitive simulations to generate competitive insights and company plans
- Coordinate and facilitate competitive intelligence collection efforts at major medical conferences
- Maintain, prioritize, and track key intelligence topics (KITs) and key intelligence questions (KIQs)
- Conduct analyses of annual and quarterly earnings results of competitors, and other key events (i.e. investor conferences, M&A/licensing deals, key clinical trials)
- Assess the reliability of competitive intelligence research findings, maintaining high standards for accuracy, relevance, and quality in deliverables at all times and communicate level of evidence to stakeholders
- Understand strategic direction and positioning of competitors relative to Abbott and articulate its impact to Abbott’s strategic options
- Present on a regular basis in-depth analyses and summaries of results, interpreting and communicating results with recommendations to key stakeholders
- Develop executive-level presentations to communicate analyses and implications with leadership across the organization
- Manage multiple stakeholder “customers” in fast-moving environment to respond to ad-hoc industry analyses in addition to ongoing reporting
- Exhibit strong organizational skills that are needed to manage projects, vendors on cost, timing, appropriateness of methodology, and actionability of conclusions
- Display a positive, solutions-based approach to all projects, and work effectively in teams
- Work to grow a culture of competitive intelligence to support other functions in the organization
Bachelor’s degree plus 4-6 years of related work experience with a complete understanding of specified functional area, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience. Advanced degree preferred.
- MBA or advanced degree strongly preferred
- Minimum 5 to 8 years of experience in competitive intelligence, market research, and/or analytics and forecasting within industries such as healthcare, medical devices, or pharmaceuticals
- Experience with previous competitive intelligence role through agency and/or industry experience
- Attention to detail while managing competing priorities, tight time pressures, and project budgets
- Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical, quantitative, and project management skills
- Prior experience as an equity research analyst within the healthcare industry
- Prior experience in leading analytics work with visualization tools (e,g. PowerBI, Tableau) to drive insights and recommendations
To apply for this job please visit abbott.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.