Abbott is about the power of health. For more than 125 years, Abbott has been helping people reach their potential — because better health allows people and communities to achieve more.
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
We are recruiting for a Sr. Director, R&D Systems and Clinical Engineering to join our team. You will be responsible for primary management responsibility for all Systems and Clinical Engineering for all major programs. You will anticipate the need for multiple product development efforts; may assign resources to determine marketing/clinical/customer needs, evaluate potential technological solutions, and/or coordinate concept studies as well as feasibility work so that product benefits/quality are maximized while costs and schedule risk are minimized. You will be ensuring product requirements and architecture are well defined early in the program to maximize program development efficiency.
You will understand, and champion the Systems and Clinical Engineering vision within and outside the department; and translates it into employee development and program support strategy. In addition, you will identify development opportunities, understands program skill requirements and working with management team, align resources to ensure program and employee success while identifying opportunities to streamline and improve Systems and Clinical Engineering contributions while driving process improvements.
- Functions as a central system and clinical engineering resource for product development programs during the entire lifecycle of products, from concept to post market support. Manages system architecture for all key new product development programs.
- Provides clear direction/priorities to personnel to meet the needs of several major concurrent and interrelated product development programs; enlists team members in a common vision of the group and its role in the organization which inspires commitment from others and is complementary to relevant divisional goals; promotes the Systems and Clinical Engineering strategy, benefits, and approach within and outside the organization.
- Develops subject matter experts to serve as chief engineers on programs in line with departmental vision. Ensures their success by reviewing and advising on technical strategy, key system-level technical activities, work output and processes.
- Advises Systems and Clinical Engineering in the gathering, analysis, and/or validation of input requirements for medical devices, supporting instrumentation, and service infrastructure; the translation of these into specific systems requirements, architecture, and interface specifications. Conducts broad cross functional review of work output
- Forecasts and maintains department budget.
- Hires and retains a diverse, highly qualified staff and provides ongoing performance feedback. Sets goals which align to department plans and manages the execution of goals through coaching and mentoring. Maintains a safe and professional work environment
- Complies with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, other regulatory requirements, company policies, operating procedures, processes, and task assignments. Maintains positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and vendors.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Organizational influence. Experience working in a broader enterprise/cross division business unit model preferred.
- Ability to work in a highly matrixed and geographically diverse business environment.
- Strong leadership skills, including the ability to set goals and provide positive and constructive feedback respectfully to build positive relationships and improve business results.
- Ability to work effectively within a team in a fast-paced changing environment.
- Strong verbal and written communications with ability to effectively communicate at multiple levels in the organization.
- Multi-tasks, prioritizes and meets deadlines in timely manner.
- Strong organizational, planning, and follow-up skills and ability to hold others accountable.
- Ability to travel up to approximately 30%, including internationally.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
To apply for this job please visit abbott.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.